New Mental Health Unit
Premis was appointed as the Managing Contractor for an $8.6M project that involved the total demolition of an existing clinical ward and its transformation into a 24-bed mental health facility. The project included the management of the entire design process, and the provision of budgets and cost plans based on the preliminary design. This was to be used by the client for an initial feasibility study, and enabled them to completely understand the full construction costs of the planned works.
The project started with a challenging timeline and then on top of this required an eight-week re-design.
Through effective collaboration with key subcontractors, the team was able to fast-track many elements of the building works to offset this additional time taken. This ensured the project was completed to the client’s requested deadline.
A large part of the project involved dealing with a range of compliance issues including fire engineering solutions, structural challenges and the provision of compliant building services. Some of these included:
- There was no existing sprinkler or hydrant system
- The existing steel structure was inadequate
- The fire stairs were non-compliant
- There were varying slab heights across the floor and area’s with structural defects
- Seismic compliance was required for building approval
- The facility required new electrical main and distribution boards
- The facility required the installation of a new mechanical plant
- Fire engineered solution.
- Gradiant falls needed to be addressed across the floor area including “wet areas” such as ensuites
The new mental health facility has come to life and now offers:
- 24 bedrooms with individual ensuites
- Clinical consultant rooms
- Treatment facilities
- Reception and administration spaces
- A dining room
- Gym facilities
- Lounge areas
- An art/activities room
- An outdoor space in the central courtyard
The project was successfully delivered in a “live” environment to ensure all other sections of the hospital remained fully operational. This is another example of the fantastic collaborative and professional services the Premis team are capable of delivering to their valued clients.